Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tablets can fill a void...


Tablets can fill a void you didn't know existed. I know it is easy to shrug the tablet off and say that it will never take the place of a laptop. People have been saying that about technology all throughout time. Remember when the microwave was introduced to the world? But what I have found is that tablets have their own spot in our digital world and in many cases it can take the place of a smartphone or a laptop. The same way that microwaves now live in peace with the kitchen range. Here is a list of the times a tablet has come in handy in my experience.

When my wife needed a recipe, she would take the laptop to the kitchen. It is a simple task but eventually she would run out of battery power and would be forced to get the charger and plugging it in. With the tablet it is just a matter of standing it up and opening her favorite recipe app. If she needs to read the recipe she can easily pick it up in one hand and walk around with it as she gathers her ingredients. No more rushing to the laptop every few seconds.

The tablet also comes in handy when you are twitting. At a recent event I took my smartphone thinking that I would use it to tweet. It just so happened that my daughter left the 7" tablet in the car, so I decided to take it with me. After struggling to tweet with such a small screen on my smartphone, I decided to take out the tablet and it was like night and day. Don't get me wrong I do tweet from my phone but when you have to tweet every few minutes from such a small screen, your fingers begin to cramp up. The tablet was the perfect solution and it was delight to tweet with.

Our two year old loves technology but we would rarely let her use our laptops for fear that she may drop them. But our tablets are light enough for her to handle and it has proven to be strong enough to put up with the abuse of a two year old. She props it up on the kitchen table and eats while watching Netflix. Then a few minutes later she is in the van watching her prerecorded shows on our way to the store. Can a laptop do the same, yes, it can but who wants to lug around a laptop?

If a tablet is currently not in your radar, I would suggest you keep your eye out for them. With prices dropping you can pick one up for about $150. I still find myself reaching for the laptop for some applications but without a doubt the tablet has found a secure spot in our digital world. Have you found that your tablet has replaced your smart phone or laptop in certain situations?



1 comment:

  1. Very good topic, I recently got my tablet and I can't believe how much I have been using it. BUT, you need to fix your sidebar man! The labels are mess up, tablets goes like
    Ta
    b
    l
    e
    t
    s
    f
    i
    l
    l
    a
    v
    o
    i
    d
    .
    .
    .
    Try changing the layout, you should be able to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete